Between December 15th, 2012 and January 4th, 2013, Iain, Mamta and Allan went on an epic and amazing journey through much of Rajasthan. On this map, each number representing somewhere we staid during our visit:
During the trip, I made a daily post with observations on what happened – here is a quick index of the posts and the main topics of the day 🙂
- #1: Delhi. Flying in style, Delhi Smog, meet Mamta’s relatives, Hindi
- #1: Delhi. Motorbikes, Qutub Minar, Humayun’s tomb, India Gate, Parliament, weird guide
- #1: Delhi. Laxminarayan temply, Red Fort, Raj Ghat, SIM card, pool
- #1-#2: Jaipur. India traffic, highways, Samode Palace, Samode Haveli
- #2 Jaipur. Amber Fort, Elephant ride, Wind Palace, Jewel crafting, City Palace, Block Printing
- #2 Jaipur. Rest day, and pick up tailored goods
- #2-#3 Nagaur. Autorickshaws, muslim calls to prayer, marble, amazing Ranvas Fort
- #3-#4 Jaisalmer. Spelling, military, desert, traffic, lorries, Puppet show
- #4 Jaisalmer. Lake, catfish, Bhang shop, Jaisalmer Fort, Jain temple, shopping, Camel ride in desert, Christmas Eve “Gala”
- #4-#5 Jodhpur. Infrastructure, advertising, grooming, Jodhpur Fort, Rohet Ghar
- #5 Rohet Ghar. Tipping, native villages, opium, massage
- #5-#6 Udaipur. Accidents, women, crappy roads, Jain temple in Ranakpur, Taj Lake Palace
- #6 Udaipur. Taj Lake Palace, City Palace, Delhi Belly
- #6-#7 Shapura Bagh. Terrible road. Bird sanctuary. Wonderful hotel.
- #7-#8 Ranthambore. Poverty and corruption. Ranthambore National Park. First tiger safari
- #8 Ranthambore. Two safaris, no tigers. New Years Eve party. Gangnam Style.
- #8-#9 Agra. Tiger success! Train to Bharatpur, Fatehpur Sikri, Traffic jam, Oberoi
- #9 Agra. Fog. Pavements. Baby Taj. Agra Fort. Taj Mahal.
- #9-#10 Delhi. Corruption in action. Meet the relatives again!
What an astonishing, amazing trip. I hope you have enjoyed reading along!