Archive for the 'News' Category

Fiber Link Failure

Filed under: News,Site News — Morten @ 10:18

My ISP currently has a problem with a fiber link that affects 25% of their customers – including me. This means that the link to is currently unavailable. Domains resolving to (the DSL link to the server) can still be used (e.g. by visiting instead of The problem should be solved […]

Status – Final Update

Filed under: News,Site News — Morten @ 02:44

The server migration seems to be close to complete at this point.. FishEye is back online, and SpamAssassin is once again fully operational. I’ve also had time to track down and fix most of the known issues.. for instance, Tomcat would die for no reason with an OutOfMemory error (turns out it needed a larger […]

Status – Getting Closer

Filed under: News,Site News — Morten @ 07:17

JIRA and Confluence are back online, and I’ve restored the missing plugins and corrected a few minor issues. FishEye should be back tomorrow too. Subversion is also back, but the Gentle repository has a new URL (it is now instead of Note that the “projects” folder has been stripped on import. This means […]

Status – Day 3

Filed under: News — Morten @ 20:55

Confluence and JIRA are now back online. The Confluence upgrade from 1.4 to 2.1 caused quite a few problems, as it was unable to upgrade the existing database. Also, the restore process halted at 55% during the “applying special processing” step, but as far as I can see it has restored all content and attachments […]

Status – Day 2

Filed under: News,Site News — Morten @ 02:21

Mail should now be operational again across all domains. I ran into a ton of problems with the Exim configuration file on the new system (which uses LDAP and virtual mail accounts rather than system users), and it has taken most of today to iron out all of the problems this caused. There are still […]

Server Upgrade Status

Filed under: News,Site News — Morten @ 05:03

Of course, nothing is ever as easy as expected. I won’t go into too much detail at this hour, but as you can easily observe the server upgrade is still far from complete. I’ll post status updates at regular intervals tomorrow (that is, later today, but after catching some sleep) as the various services come […]

Web-based services unavailable

Filed under: News — Morten @ 21:47

Apache was unable to start after a MySQL upgrade from 4.0 to 5.0 (due to invalid library references). Unfortunately, it took quite some time for Gentoo to recompile all the affected libraries required for everything to come back online. I’m looking forward to the new vserver-setup, which I’m confident will make downtime due to issues […]

Server Downtime

Filed under: News — site admin @ 23:36

The server was down today from around 8:30 to 01:00 CET due to a boot manager without a default choice. Actual downtime was roughly 10 minutes, so it’s a bit of a bummer not to have detected this any sooner. However, I was moving to a new flat and didn’t get connected again until this […]

Router Upgrade

Filed under: News,Site News — site admin @ 15:56

The router has been fairly unstable over the last 5 days. It’s firmware has just been updated and everything reconfigured from scratch, but only time will tell if this has solved the problem. According to my ISP the old firmware did have a number of bugs in it – I just think it’s strange that […]

Gentoo Trouble

Filed under: News — site admin @ 11:40

The server has been unavailable to most users from guesstimately yesterday evening until 13:30 (CET) today. Services were suddenly being denied access to various system locations (such as /tmp and /dev/null, which are rather vital). While the exact cause is still being investigated, the most likely culprit is Gentoos package management software (portage). Whether it’s […]